85 No/none/any

No none nothing nobody/no one nowhere


You can use these negative words at the beginning of a sentence or alone:
* No cars are allowed in the city centre.
* None of this money is mine.
* 'What did you say?' 'Nothing.'
* Nobody (or No one) came to visit me while I was in hospital.
* 'Where are you going?' 'Nowhere. I'm staying here.'


You can also use these words after a verb, especially after be and have:
* The house is empty. There's nobody living there.
* She had no difficulty finding a job.


No/nothing/nobody etc. = not + any/anything/anybody etc.:
* We haven't got any money. (= We've got no money.)
* I didn't say anything. (= I said nothing.)
* She didn't tell anybody about her plans. (= She told nobody...)
* The station isn't anywhere near here. (= ... is nowhere near here)


When you use no/nothing/nobody etc., do not use a negative verb (isn't, didn't, can't etc.):
* I said nothing. (not 'I didn't say nothing')
* Nobody tells me anything. (not 'Nobody doesn't tell ...')


We also use any/anything/anybody etc. (without 'not') to mean 'it doesn't matter which/ hat/who'. Compare no- and any-:
* 'What do you want to eat?' 'Nothing. I'm not hungry.'
I'm so hungry. I could eat anything. (= it doesn't matter what)
* The exam was extremely difficult. Nobody passed. (= everybody failed)
The exam was very easy. Anybody could have passed. (= it doesn't matter who)


No and none
We use no + a noun. No = not a or not any:
* We had to walk home because there was no bus. (= there wasn't a bus)
* I can't talk to you now. I've got no time. (= I haven't got any time)
* There were no shops open. (= there weren't any shops open)


We use none alone (without a noun):
* 'How much money have you got?' 'None.' (= no money)
* All the tickets have been sold. There are none left. (= no tickets left)


Or we use none of ...:
none of these shops none of my money none of it/them/us/you.

After none of + a plural word ('none of the shops', 'none of them' etc.) you can use a singular or a plural verb. A plural verb is more usual:
* None of the shops were (or was) open.


After nobody/no one you can use they/them/their:
* Nobody phoned, did they? (= did he or she)
* The party was a disaster. Nobody enjoyed themselves. (= himself or herself)
* No one in the class did their homework. (= his or her homework)



EXERCISES
85.1 Answer these questions using none/nobody/nothing/nowhere.
1. What did you do? _Nothing._
2. Who were you talking to? ---
3. Where are you going? ---
4. How much luggage have you got? ---
5. How many children have they got? ---
6. Who did you meet? ---
7. What did you buy? ---


Now write full sentences using any/anybody/anything/anywhere.
8 (1) _I didn't do anything._
9. (2) I ---
10. (3) ---
11. (4) ---
12. (5) ---
13. (6) ---
14. (7) ---


85.2 Complete these sentences with no, none or any.
1. It was a public holiday, so there were _no_ shops open.
2. I haven't got _any_ money. Can you lend me some?
3. I couldn't make an omelette because there were --- eggs.
4. I couldn't make an omelette because there weren't --- eggs.
5. 'How many eggs have we got? --- I'll go and buy some from the shop if you like.'
6. We took a few photographs but --- of them were very good.
7. What a stupid thing to do! --- intelligent person would do such a thing.
8. I'll try and answer --- questions you ask me.
9. I couldn't answer --- of the questions they asked me.
10. We cancelled the party because --- of the people we invited were able to come.


85.3 Complete these sentences with no- or any- + -body/-thing/-where.
1. I don't want _anything_ to drink. I'm not thirsty.
2. The bus was completely empty. There was --- on it.
3. 'Where did you go for your holidays? --- I stayed at home.'
4. I went to the shops but I didn't buy ---.
5. 'What did you buy? '---. couldn't find --- I wanted.'
6. The town was still the same when I returned years later --- had changed.
7. Have you seen my watch? I've looked all over the house but I can't find it ---.
8. There was complete silence in the room. --- said ---.


85.4 Choose the right word.
1. She didn't tell _nobody/anybody_ about her plans. (anybody is correct)
2. The accident looked serious but fortunately _nobody/anybody_ was injured.
3. I looked out of the window but I couldn't see _nobody/anybody._
4. My job is very easy. _Nobody/Anybody_ could do it.
5. 'What's in that box?' _'Nothing/Anything._ It's empty.'
6. The situation is uncertain. _Nothing/Anything_ could happen.
7. I don't know _nothing/anything_ about economics.

85.1

2 Nobody/No one.

3 Nowhere.

4 None.

5 None.

6 Nobody/No one.

7 Nothing.

9 wasn't talking to anybody/anyone.

10 I'm not going anywhere.

11 I haven't got any luggage.

12 They haven't got any children.

13 I didn't meet anybody/anyone.

14 I didn't buy anything.

85.2

3 no 4 any

5 None 6 none

7 No 8 any

9 any 10 none

85.3

2 nobody/no one

3 Nowhere

4 anything

5 Nothing ... anything

6 Nothing

7 anywhere

8 Nobody/no, one said anything.

85.4

2 nobody

3 anybody

4 Anybody

5 Nothing

6 Anything

7 anything